Cornell University Reviews
85% would recommend to a friend
(2944 total reviews)
Martha E. Pollack
84% approve of CEO
Found 2,944 of over 3K reviews
Updated 29 Nov 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Good benefits and options for healthcare coverage" (in 197 reviews)
- "The people are great; they are flexible and always there for you to ask questions of." (in 193 reviews)
- "Highly flexible hours and workload." (in 103 reviews)
- "Quite and beautiful campus with a lot of collaboration across labs" (in 81 reviews)
- "The staff is friendly and polite." (in 52 reviews)
- "Low pay and part time status" (in 108 reviews)
- "Salary is low and housing difficult to find." (in 67 reviews)
- "Management was poor and didn't listen to the needs of the staff" (in 27 reviews)
- "Abusive/toxic managers are enabled and protected." (in 13 reviews)
- "lack of diversity in older team members" (in 10 reviews)
- 5.018 Sept 2023Graduate Research AssistantCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsIthaca, NY
Reputation: Cornell is an Ivy League university with a longstanding reputation for academic excellence. This prestigious association can open doors and offer valuable networking opportunities. Research Opportunities: The university is renowned for its cutting-edge research across various fields, providing faculty and staff with opportunities to engage in meaningful and impactful work. Resources & Facilities: Cornell boasts state-of-the-art facilities, libraries, labs, and other resources for its staff and faculty, facilitating high-quality work and innovation. Diverse Community: The university attracts students, faculty, and staff from all over the world, fostering a diverse and inclusive environment. Professional Development: Cornell offers various programs, workshops, and courses to help employees grow professionally and academically. Natural Beauty: Ithaca, where Cornell's main campus is located, is known for its beautiful landscapes, gorges, and outdoor activities. This can be a draw for those who appreciate nature and outdoor recreation. Supportive Community: Cornell often emphasizes community, collaboration, and support amongst its faculty, staff, and students. Interdisciplinary Collaboration: Given the breadth of programs and departments, there are ample opportunities for interdisciplinary work and collaboration across fields. Sustainability Initiatives: Cornell has made significant efforts in recent years to become more sustainable and environmentally friendly, which might appeal to environmentally-conscious individuals. Lifelong Learning: With access to a vast array of courses, lectures, and events, employees at Cornell can continually engage in lifelong learning. Alumni Network: The Cornell alumni network is vast and influential, providing connections and opportunities in various sectors worldwide.
Ithaca is known for its long, cold, and snowy winters, which can be a challenge for those not fond of or used to such weather.
- 3.025 Nov 2023PhD StudentCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsIthaca, NY
Cornell has a great reputation and resources. Alumni network is very strong. Other grad students are generally very supportive (anyone who shows competitiveness usually doesn't have friends). Funding guaranteed for five years (at least in my department). Ithaca is really gorgeous.
As with any school, choose your advisor wisely. Some advisors at Cornell are selfish and don't consider your mental health at all.
- 4.027 Nov 2023Research AssociateCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsIthaca, NY
Health insurance through NY state, expensive, but covers 50k of infertility, medications. Cornell pays % of retirement.
You are still in academy. Life-work balance is not good.
Cornell University Reviews FAQs
Cornell University has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5, based on over 3,247 reviews left anonymously by employees. 85% of employees would recommend working at Cornell University to a friend and 71% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
85% of Cornell University employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Cornell University 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 4.2 for career opportunities.