Elastic Reviews | Glassdoor.sg

Updated 21 Jan 2020

3.9
Elastic Founder and CEO Shay Banon
Shay Banon
Pros
  • "I wasn't a huge participant in the open-source world before joining Elastic, but I've really enjoyed getting more involved(in 24 reviews)

• "Company values allow for excellent work/life balance(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, no one is going to check to make sure you have work-life balance(in 12 reviews)

• "Their hope is the open source model and its low entry price is going to drive enough potential demand for up-selling later to generate revenue(in 8 reviews)

1. "Great company, great product, awesome culture"

I have been working at Elastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Amazing product - just talk to anyone in the IT space - Remote working - Lots of flexibility and trust in employees - Growing at a crazy pace, it keeps things exciting! - Very down to earth and approachable leadership that likes to get involved , they're just one Slack message or email away. - Lots of career opportunities esp due to the fast growth, I've seen so many internal moves/promotions in the time I've been here. - ESTC stock is performing great! $$$ for all of us :)

Cons

- Messy hours due to the global nature of the company - early morning/ late night calls to connect with the rest of the team. It can be difficult to draw the line between work and life. - We can get a bit resource strapped because there's so much to do but not enough people to do them.

Advice to Management

Keep the Elastic culture alive - we're unique because of our distributed culture and because we treat everybody like adults. Don't let that change as the company expands!

Elastic2019-01-24

"Needs strategy ASAP and relook at middle-management"

I have been working at Elastic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Excellent benefits - Distributed work arrangement - Opportunity to travel - Challenging work - Product is good - Broader community is awesome to work with

Cons

- Ineffective middle-management. It's apparent that something went wrong with hiring in the past year or so - we hired too aggressively to fill middle management positions and the result is a ton of poor-fit candidates. They seem experienced on paper but a lot of them do not have clear vision and cannot articulate coherent strategies to drive business. It is chaotic on the ground as it can feel sometimes that no one knows what they are doing. There is also decreasing morale when the juniors are catching on to the cluelessness of these new middle-managers. There is also cascading push of responsibility and blame between these middle-managers which make it hard for teams to truly work together. - Hard to have your voice heard nowadays. A lot of preaching on transparency, but when feedback is given, no actions are taken (even after months-years), even when given by a huge number of people and even when startlingly negative. The company seems content with letting certain things slide, as long as things look good in the short-term.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at your middle-managers, who is actually doing work and who is only "delegating" tasks without added value? And make adjustments quick... We still truly believe in Shay and ELT's vision, but you need to make sure the middle layer of managers are as good as the top as the company grows.

Elastic2019-12-12

"Great product, awful management."

I worked at Elastic full-time

Pros

- Remote working - Catered lunches - Volunteer time off - Great product - Great beliefs

Cons

- Lousy management; some managers just do not have the capacity to be a manager. they just fear upper management and that cascades down onto you because of their mismanagement, hence the problem become yours, not because they set you up for failure. - Political - you always have to be brown nosing. - Favouritism - Don't walk the talk.

Advice to Management

Look into your mid-high management and ask yourself if these are actually good managers or leaders. Most of the time, they're not. they're just there to pretend they are just so they look good in front of the ELT team. I find that a lot of times, they work super hard but the results are meagre. They talk about their bottom up strategy, which is great and engaging but sometimes you also need to look at a bit of expansion instead of always from your consistent pool. Most of the managers there just use their loud voice because they think that works. As usual with most tech firms - the loudest voice wins even though they may not necessarily be the best voice of reason.

Elastic2019-11-12
  4. "Love it here"

Current Employee - CSM in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elastic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everyone is always willing to help

Cons

Not enough communication about changes

Advice to Management

Be consistent with your strategy

Elastic2020-01-21
  5. "Good company overall...."

Current Employee - Sales in Raleigh, NC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Elastic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Broad market appetite/needs for Elastic's products and expertise

Cons

Growing pains of a high-growth company. Leadership is well-aware and is addressing

Advice to Management

achieve consistent communications/messaging through multi-layers of leadership down to those in the trenches

Elastic2020-01-22
  6. "Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - G&A

I have been working at Elastic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working remotely is a big bonus, benefits are amazing, and the company really cares about giving to good causes by matching donations/offering opportunity to volunteer and travel with your peers.

Cons

Timezone differences on teams make communication difficult sometimes.

Advice to Management

Manager training would be a good investment.

Elastic2020-01-18

"Worst company culture"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Elastic full-time for more than a year

Pros

I don't work there anymore.

Cons

Legal, order ops, and management all get in the way of closing actual business. Not that there is a ton of it to be had. Small patch and over hired per region. not enough accounts per rep. Management dictates off of salesforce so they seemed to have an inside sales background and not customer facing. Snowflake culture. Tons of Wiki pages so you can be confused even more. If you actually get a PO your fun only begins!

Advice to Management

People take your OS code and make better products out of it than you do.

Elastic2020-01-21

"Fantastic company"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Elastic full-time

Pros

Fantastic people, great leadership, open environment and a product that nearly every company already uses or should be using.

Cons

It's a high growth company and that is challenging to continue to grow at that rate while maintaining a great corporate culture. It only gets harder as the company gets bigger. As an open source company, it's a great part of the culture, but also includes the challenges of competing with "free software", particularly when cloud service providers host it without contributing back.

Elastic2019-12-13

"Sales review - YMMV"

Former Employee - Sales Director in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Elastic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health & Benefits are great, Flexible Schedule ELK Stack is a very well known tech in the market Elastic cares and community support is fun

Cons

I preface this list by saying I work in sales, and although some of the items may apply to others, I am writing this from the perspective of a remote field rep. YMMV in other roles. Company politics are plentiful. Over last few years have seen many people fired, promoted, and hired seemingly by who likes or dislikes them. Management takes feedback personally, and will openly criticize/berate you for voicing independent ideas. Working remotely might be a pro, but it means your boss will expect you to answer at all hours of the day/night. I constantly get activity-related questions of what and when I am doing with my time, but management does not have any recommendations on KPIs that lead to more closed business. Also, the folks who do work in the offices will be treated more favorably as they develop relationships and work much closer to management. Contracts, Legal, Comp, Sales Ops, and others are openly hostile to sales. If/when I've asked questions on processes or sought approvals I've received mostly passive-aggressive directions to look for answers in the internal wiki. I have heard this complaint voiced by others on my team. It seems to me, that many in nonsales roles resent having salespeople around. Free, Free, Free. Elastic gives nearly every feature away for free. Not that selling on features is best... BUT when you are working a bottom-up (engineer focus) strategy and have mega competitors in every category, it would be nice to have a more defendable price point. Customers receive million$ in value from our freeware paying $0 in return. Most of the sales leaders are promoted from within and are more bosses than leaders. They seem to have no shortage of time when it comes to harassing reps on forecast updates, but have little to offer in terms of strategy, coaching, mentoring, prospecting, etc. The new quotas are very high in relation to deal size. The reps who are hitting their #'s are doing so through a few very large (10x sized) deals which blow out their numbers. The rest of the reps are struggling to even hit OTE. Year over year should not see decreased earnings. SJW & Overwhelming nonrelevant communication on company channels. Slack/Email/Chatter is full of COMPANY WIDE baby announcements, team updates, product sightings, arguments, gender pronoun conversations, personal stores of love for elastic, celebrations from different teams, etc. etc.. to the point where it is tough to keep track of what is relevant to your job. I have stopped even looking at emails except for customers & folks I know, as there isn't enough time to follow all the company "reply all" and slack channel conversations on irrelevant topics. ** depending on your disposition this may be a plus, but it is hurting our productivity. Elastic is not focused on sales (rem this is sales review you might be ok with this). - Services sell packages that are very expensive considering the lack of PM or SOW. The rate per hour (price/hours in the package) typically are much higher than other PS orgs. - Pricing is supposed to be disruptive but is often confusing to the market as different offerings are priced differently (node, instance, enterprise units) and features are not standardized across deployments. - Lackluster partner enablement, no onboarding program, no joint marketing, no partner boot camps, joint selling motions are confusing and lack enough incentive.

Advice to Management

Create a true SaaS experience by forgetting about the sizing and nodes that need to be deployed and focus on charging by use case or consumption-based pricing. Work on building up a true sales process that includes ICP, buyers journey, objection/competition handling and a step by step process from interest to close. Stop creating yes men/women in the management team and encourage new ideas focused on execution. Sales are ethical, the better we do as a company the more lives who work at the company and are supported by the company are impacted. It is ok and ethical to be an aggressive sales organization. Time to take the gloves off fight our competitors and hold our customers accountable for the value they receive from us.

Elastic2019-11-20

"Great opportunity that will challenge you at all levels"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Amsterdam

I have been working at Elastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great team and management striving to become #1 in all use cases - Best recruitment experience - fastest and to the point - Humble mindset. - Huge market to go after with a best of breed tech foundation - If you like to work with happy customers who are willing to learn and handwalked, this is the place to be. Most fun sales job I have worked at. - Quantity, quality, enthusiasm and loyalty of our customer base - We drive business change in all levels at some of the best companies in the world - Ability to work in multiple use cases that allows to expand your career. APM, Data, Security etc - Great office in the middle of Amsterdam - Free healthy buffet lunch

Cons

- Complex technology that requires significant amount of understand to properly position. So either have the background or willingness to learn! - Immense growth, culture might be an issue however I do have confidence in the management. They are to the point and not cutting corners.

Advice to Management

- Keep focused on development and continue to only recruit the best of the best! - Pay attention to growth of employees with the growth of company.

Elastic2019-11-08