Elastic Reviews

Updated 31 Jul 2020

4.1
Elastic Founder and CEO Shay Banon
Shay Banon
Pros
  • "I wasn't a huge participant in the open-source world before joining Elastic, but I've really enjoyed getting more involved(in 24 reviews)

• "The work-life balance at Elastic is what you make of it(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Distributed company means email/slacks come in at all hours(in 8 reviews)

• "Their hope is the open source model and its low entry price is going to drive enough potential demand for up-selling later to generate revenue(in 8 reviews)

1. "A company that cares for the employees!"

Current Employee - Renewal

I have been working at Elastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Distributed nature allows a lot of flexibility on where you choose to work from. Culture is great and all the colleagues are really helpful in many ways. Simply a great company to work in as it really cares for the welfare of its employees.

Cons

Nothing really in particular but if there must be one ... it will be the off office hour calls due to the time difference. Not a big concern as it is understandable.

"Great product, awful management."

2.0

I worked at Elastic full-time

Pros

- Remote working - Catered lunches - Volunteer time off - Great product - Great beliefs

Cons

- Lousy management; some managers just do not have the capacity to be a manager. they just fear upper management and that cascades down onto you because of their mismanagement, hence the problem become yours, not because they set you up for failure. - Political - you always have to be brown nosing. - Favouritism - Don't walk the talk.

Continue reading

3. "Great company, great product, awesome culture"

I have been working at Elastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Amazing product - just talk to anyone in the IT space - Remote working - Lots of flexibility and trust in employees - Growing at a crazy pace, it keeps things exciting! - Very down to earth and approachable leadership that likes to get involved , they're just one Slack message or email away. - Lots of career opportunities esp due to the fast growth, I've seen so many internal moves/promotions in the time I've been here. - ESTC stock is performing great! $$$ for all of us :)

Cons

- Messy hours due to the global nature of the company - early morning/ late night calls to connect with the rest of the team. It can be difficult to draw the line between work and life. - We can get a bit resource strapped because there's so much to do but not enough people to do them.

4. COVID-19

"Intense, exciting, incredible"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Elastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Where to begin? The leadership is incredible - great product strategy, grounded approach to running the business, and incredible empathy toward both customers and employees. During COVID, the entire company actually gets 2 extra days off every month and for most roles, these are coordinated so we really do get to switch off and focus on family. My last job treated their people well, but this is just above and beyond. There's also been some great company-wide conversations on topics like BLM and diversity which have revealed a leadership that really is focused on doing the right thing, and not just for PR reasons. The compensation is generous (across the board, including medical, 401k matching, salary and stock grants), especially if you live in a place with a reasonable cost of living (which most roles can, since the company is distributed). Employee expectations are high and nearly everyone executes at a high level, and I feel we're compensated accordingly. The products are great and the pace of improvement is incredible which makes it really exciting to be here and see where this already fast-growing company can go in the future. The work itself is intense and there's always something going on (company is fully distributed) and many roles have a customer support element which can create a lot of context switches and sense of urgency. But on the other hand, it's really rewarding to be able to help customers and engage with those using the products you build. The connection to the customer and business success here is palpable. The culture is super open, with most conversations happening in open slack channels or group threads, or large (usually optional) zoom meetings that are recorded. That can be overwhelming but overall it makes for a place where even the most senior leaders are accessible and not hidden behind multiple layers of bureaucracy. Comms from the CEO on down are informal, open and honest, which makes for a very down-to-earth culture. I could go on, but overall, it's really an amazing place to be. My only long-term concern is burn out due to the fast pace (see below), but for now I'm enjoying it.

Cons

The pace of work and mental load of so much open communication can be overwhelming at times, though it does fluctuate throughout the week (in my experience mid-week is usually intense but Fridays are pretty quiet). Distributed company means email/slacks come in at all hours. That doesn't mean you're expected to respond at all hours, but it means you have to be more disciplined in setting boundaries. Some roles get context-switched a lot which contributes to stress and inefficiency. Hopefully as the products and processes mature that'll improve, but right now this can be a challenge.

Continue reading
  5. "An innovative and Employee first place"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Elastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Organized and structured where it counts, freeform and creative where it's the most beneficial. Progressive, mature and measured company values. Innovative technology to work on. Plenty of room to grow and multiple promotion paths. Distributed by design. Excellent compensation. What's not to love?

Cons

Distributed nature makes some things take longer

6. "Amazing people make the most amazing company!"

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Elastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Openness: while some companies have "policies" Elastic has a "culture" of encouraging their employees to be themselves...come as you are! In the times: Elastic´s products and solutions are going to take companies to the next level, now and well into the future. It is a very relevant company, with exceptional offerings, supported by a ton of really intelligent people. The skies the limit: Whatever you can dream can, I am sure, be integrated somehow within Elastic. Work life balance: Elastic provide ample opportunities to enrich your personal life, such as offering paid time off to volunteer, plenty of PTO and encourages people to take time off in the middle of the day, if needed, to get some fresh air. Working remotely, for most, is also an excellent opportunity to spend more time with family, though also having more time to be productive...all while reducing the traffic congestion others must endure on a daily basis...win-win-win.

Cons

I have none at all.

"Great Culture"

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Elastic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture - People are amazing

Cons

moved to IPO has caused an influx of legacy Oracle / SFDC leadership and their playbooks

Continue reading
  8. "Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Elastic full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Distributed working - flexibility is amazing - CEO that genuinely cares about his employees - this is especially noticeable during these difficult times - Not losing it's small company feel as we grow - Good career development; has the ethos to promote their employees from within

Cons

- Very fast moving, you need to hold on tight sometimes!

9. "Top class for employee well-being, with a little more business structure, would be phenomenal all round."

4.0
    Current Employee - SDR in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Elastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great culture. Incredible focus on well-being of employees. - Encourages creative thinking, no need to micro manage. - Focus on work-life balance is great. - Fair wage. -Incredible team. Lovely office environment. -Very future oriented company focus. Leading product and rapid growth of features.

Cons

- Lack of clear career progression/opportunities. - Lack of corporate structure/communication. - Not much sales training provided in a traditional sense.

10. "Good place"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Elastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Departments besides engineering are really good and leadership is good. However engineering is a mixed bag - some teams are good some are struggling to get work done. Good career opportunities, some engineering teams are good

Cons

Quantity over quality in engineering esp cloud teams. A good portion of the engineers could be fired and wouldn’t affect productivity.

Found 189 reviews