NerdWallet Reviews

Found 146 of over 157 reviews

3.7
NerdWallet CEO Tim Chen
Tim Chen
Pros
  • "The work life balance here is unparalleled - everyone gets their work done without needing to force anyone to work late(in 23 reviews)

• "Great benefits with unlimited time off, flexible work schedule, great health benefits(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some growing pains, but using them as learning opportunities(in 10 reviews)

• "3 rounds of layoffs in 8 months(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

A breath of fresh air

Apr 1, 2021 - IT Engineer II
      Business Outlook

Pros

Prior to joining NerdWallet as a fully remote employee, the company was at 26% remote. The content team was mostly remote as their job function requires lived experiences across the United States. This means that NerdWallet had the building blocks before the pandemic to become a remote first company. I joined the company during the start of the pandemic, and thanks to the remote teams resources and guidance, I was able to snap right in to the rhythm of NerdWallet, despite living thousands of miles from the office. NerdWallet actively cares about its culture and its employees. There is not an accepted culture of burnout and overworking. The values of the employees, and the values we hold for our customers, actually mean something positive. Because this company is in the financial space, they have may mature and robust processes which is great for a company of this age and size. I have never, ever, been happier at work.

Cons

Some things move slowly, but, I would rather embrace that, then be annoyed by it. While there are many robust processes in place, there are still some growing pains, especially when it comes to mergers and acquisitions. This isn't the end of the world, and the bumps in this road are nothing compared to legitimate incompetency or workplace abuse. Those are things that do not exist here.

6 people found this review helpful

Talent Coordinator

Thank you so much for your thoughts! We’re so glad to hear that you’re enjoying your time at NerdWallet. If you ever have any other thoughts—positive or negative—about your NerdWallet experience, please reach out to your team’s HRBP or share them in NerdVoice.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

It has been a great experience

Sep 30, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is super nice and helpful

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

3. 1.0

Horrible Management

Oct 18, 2021 - Diversity Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing was great working at this place

Cons

Management lacks emotional intelligence and empathy needed to actually run a company - steer clear of this company

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Sep 7, 2021 - Worker
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good to work for, good pay and an enjoyable work Healthy Smart Intelligent Awesome

Cons

Balancing work and social life is very hard

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A Waste of Time

Sep 15, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Compensation is very competitive. - Benefits are fantastic. I can't think of anything they're missing or more that they could do. - Remote friendly.

Cons

- NerdWallet pretends to be in the fin-tech industry. They're a glorified affiliate website. All they have going for them is SEO. - SMB in particular is really terrible. The entire SMB side of the business has no EQ, they genuinely don't care about small business owners. They'll do anything to drive revenue for a partner even if it means deceiving SMBs. - Culture at this company is non existent. - If I could go back I would have stayed at my previous company.

2 people found this review helpful

NerdWallet Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and for your ongoing contributions to NerdWallet. In the spirit of our values Open, Candid & Constructive and Relentless Self-Improvement, we take your feedback seriously and will be sharing your review for discussion internally. We strive to provide a positive employee experience for all Nerds and encourage you to share your feedback with your manager and HRBP.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Strong Culture and Smart People

Aug 24, 2021 - Product Management
      Business Outlook

Pros

High bar for talent -- many smart people Strong Culture from CEO down -- they live it

Cons

Business/Sales-driven approach with some tendency to reactive roadmapping which other product managers should be aware of...but truthfully its a great company with a lot of opportunity

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

It is a decent company to work for

Sep 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management takes employee feedback seriously

Cons

No stock refreshes every year No lunches anymore since the pandemic

8. 4.0

Good Company

Aug 9, 2021 - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy to work with people

Cons

Location is not an ideal office place

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Software Engineer

Aug 1, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- NerdWallet has great company culture - the company is now remote friendly - It is a great place for NCG and Interns

Cons

- In terms of cons, currently nothing bad comes to mind right now - there's a lot changes this year but its expected for a company of this size

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Used to love this company, it started being very deceptive

Jul 24, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent benefits including health insurance, 401k with matching, RSUs, nice tech stack, great marketing department. If you want to coast and not work too hard this is a great place to spend your life.

Cons

Goodness, where to start… Firstly, this company isn’t going public any time soon there’s just been a max exodus of execs. There’s no reason to even stick it out for “going public”. Secondly, no matter how hard you work for a promotion and abide by the promotions doc they give you an arbitrary amount of time to fulfill in the role before getting the promotion. It’s an unspoken rule. A deceptive lack of transparency has become a theme for the company. It’s given way to a huge attrition of co-workers. HR misrepresented pay cuts for moving and going to remote during the pandemic. They said maximum pay cut was 20% when I have first hand knowledge of a friend on another team who was shocked to see her paycheck slashed a whopping 50%! No questions about this were accepted at All Hands meetings. It was covered up and she just wants to quit tech altogether. This left me and a number of others incredibly angry. NerdWallet can no longer be considered a startup, the level of bureaucracy is astonishing to even update the smallest of things. You need to like meetings to work here. NerdWallet has constantly said it’s working on new technologies and things but really your job is just to implement a new page design every 6 months with a/b tests to make someone click on a loan button a bit more than they would. It’s difficult to grow your career when most of your work involves changing link colors. The office will reopen with only hotel desks so you won’t get a custom ergonomic setup that works for you. It won’t work with your custom mechanical keyboard that you adore. May as well work from home and get that remote job you’ve always wanted. Whoooooa boy the legacy code too! They have little interest in cleaning that up - it is going to go to someone eventually, will it be you? Management will always hear your feedback, but always tell you that you are wrong. There’s no point in trying to speak up to improve the company. I saw another reviewer saying that the company treats their employees as disposable and honestly that’s how I felt after 5 years. I’ve seen too many surprise firings. I regret thinking this company really stood for their values.

13 people found this review helpful

NerdWallet Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your experience, and for your time at NerdWallet. In keeping with our Open, Candid, and Constructive, and Relentless Self-Improvement values, we welcome feedback and will take yours as an opportunity for growth. We strive to ensure our Nerds have a best-in-class employee experience, including an immersive culture with benefit offerings that best support their well-being. Fair and competitive compensation is a pillar of our benefit offerings, and this includes our tiered geolocation salary policy for Nerds who voluntarily relocate and which is commensurate with market rates in those locations. Our current system and records have not equated to a 50% pay cut for any employee. Beyond that, we seek to regularly provide all Nerds with the opportunity to grow their skills and receive recognition for their contributions, reflected in our twice-yearly review cycles and What Good Looks Like awards. We wish you the best in your next role.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 146 Reviews