NerdWallet Reviews

Found 137 of over 148 reviews

3.6
NerdWallet CEO Tim Chen
Tim Chen
Pros
  • "The work life balance here is unparalleled - everyone gets their work done without needing to force anyone to work late(in 23 reviews)

• "Great benefits with unlimited time off, flexible work schedule, great health benefits(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some growing pains, but using them as learning opportunities(in 10 reviews)

• "3 rounds of layoffs in 8 months(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

A breath of fresh air

Apr 1, 2021 - IT Engineer II
      Business Outlook

Pros

Prior to joining NerdWallet as a fully remote employee, the company was at 26% remote. The content team was mostly remote as their job function requires lived experiences across the United States. This means that NerdWallet had the building blocks before the pandemic to become a remote first company. I joined the company during the start of the pandemic, and thanks to the remote teams resources and guidance, I was able to snap right in to the rhythm of NerdWallet, despite living thousands of miles from the office. NerdWallet actively cares about its culture and its employees. There is not an accepted culture of burnout and overworking. The values of the employees, and the values we hold for our customers, actually mean something positive. Because this company is in the financial space, they have may mature and robust processes which is great for a company of this age and size. I have never, ever, been happier at work.

Cons

Some things move slowly, but, I would rather embrace that, then be annoyed by it. While there are many robust processes in place, there are still some growing pains, especially when it comes to mergers and acquisitions. This isn't the end of the world, and the bumps in this road are nothing compared to legitimate incompetency or workplace abuse. Those are things that do not exist here.

5 people found this review helpful

Talent Coordinator

Thank you so much for your thoughts! We’re so glad to hear that you’re enjoying your time at NerdWallet. If you ever have any other thoughts—positive or negative—about your NerdWallet experience, please reach out to your team’s HRBP or share them in NerdVoice.

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Used to love this company, it started being very deceptive

Jul 24, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent benefits including health insurance, 401k with matching, RSUs, nice tech stack, great marketing department. If you want to coast and not work too hard this is a great place to spend your life.

Cons

Goodness, where to start… Firstly, this company isn’t going public any time soon there’s just been a max exodus of execs. There’s no reason to even stick it out for “going public”. Secondly, no matter how hard you work for a promotion and abide by the promotions doc they give you an arbitrary amount of time to fulfill in the role before getting the promotion. It’s an unspoken rule. A deceptive lack of transparency has become a theme for the company. It’s given way to a huge attrition of co-workers. HR misrepresented pay cuts for moving and going to remote during the pandemic. They said maximum pay cut was 20% when I have first hand knowledge of a friend on another team who was shocked to see her paycheck slashed a whopping 50%! No questions about this were accepted at All Hands meetings. It was covered up and she just wants to quit tech altogether. This left me and a number of others incredibly angry. NerdWallet can no longer be considered a startup, the level of bureaucracy is astonishing to even update the smallest of things. You need to like meetings to work here. NerdWallet has constantly said it’s working on new technologies and things but really your job is just to implement a new page design every 6 months with a/b tests to make someone click on a loan button a bit more than they would. It’s difficult to grow your career when most of your work involves changing link colors. The office will reopen with only hotel desks so you won’t get a custom ergonomic setup that works for you. It won’t work with your custom mechanical keyboard that you adore. May as well work from home and get that remote job you’ve always wanted. Whoooooa boy the legacy code too! They have little interest in cleaning that up - it is going to go to someone eventually, will it be you? Management will always hear your feedback, but always tell you that you are wrong. There’s no point in trying to speak up to improve the company. I saw another reviewer saying that the company treats their employees as disposable and honestly that’s how I felt after 5 years. I’ve seen too many surprise firings. I regret thinking this company really stood for their values.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

It’s fine.

Jun 14, 2021 - Operations Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

- If you’re on your manager’s good side, you may be protected but favoritism is definitely a thing here. - Some people here are genuinely nice and caring people and good at their jobs.

Cons

- For some reason, I find it hard to see ICs move into management positions, even if they’re well qualified. Managers seem more willing to hire externally (usually friends) than to promote internally. A lot of them come in inexperienced, too. - Favoritism is very real. Opportunities to move around internally is almost impossible unless you’re very, very well liked. - Seems like more professional development resources for managers than for ICs. - Every friend I’ve ever made was severely underpaid, in seemingly every team (inside and outside of PEDD). - A lot of folks coasting or are just bad at their jobs and don’t face any repercussions. - Turnover has been unusually high lately, across all teams teams.

4 people found this review helpful

NerdWallet Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and for your time at NerdWallet. We take all feedback seriously and are committed to addressing your concerns by embracing our values, including Relentless Self-Improvement and Open, Candid & Constructive. We will be sharing your review for discussion internally. We wish you the best moving forward.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great perks and mission

Jun 28, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Excellent perks like 401k matching and funds for cell phone and gym -Mission oriented on helping consumers

Cons

-As NW scales, it becomes increasingly corporate -Team leadership could be unprofessional in speaking with each other and employees

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Quality Team, Good Mission and and Thoughtful Leaders

Mar 30, 2021 - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I absolutely love working here. My manager is super supportive of my career growth and has made expectations super clear for me. The hiring managers are seriously engaged here. In past companies, I have had to herd cats to get interviews scheduled but things move quickly and smoothly at NerdWallet. Manager's really care about their teams. The perks and benefits are fantastic too. HR recently refreshed our remote benefits to continue to support the company as we become a more remote company.

Cons

Because we are growing so quickly, work-life balance is tough at times but nothing unmanageable. thankful we have a flexible PTO!

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good for mid-career professionals looking to coast

May 29, 2021 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, decent pay, good "work-life balance" (aka you don't have to work hard)

Cons

Most people are coasting, no clear vision

4 people found this review helpful

NerdWallet Recruiting

This is really helpful feedback! We appreciate that you’ve taken the time to write this; please know that ensuring Nerds have a positive and rewarding experience is our top priority, and we’re committed to making NerdWallet an inclusive and inspiring place for everyone to develop their careers and find professional fulfillment... Please continue to share your thoughts by either reaching out to your team’s HRBP

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Treats their employees like they're disposable

Jul 1, 2020 - Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits (competitive pay, 410k match, generous PTO, all the food, drinks, and snacks you can enjoy), some really smart and nice people, interesting industry to be solving problems in.

Cons

The quality of your experience depends primarily on which team you end up on, as there is no consistency when it comes to process, output, vision, talent, and most importantly - professionalism and communication. Some teams are great, and some will have you frantically trying to get out of an unhealthy work environment. The company's vision is so incredibly vague, and constantly changing. Despite this being a concern brought up repeatedly by employees, no progress has been made on defining company goals or roadmaps.  Leadership is consistently battling in a turf war, and the rest of the company bear the brunt of this constant conflict. High performing employees get pushed out for questionable reasons - too many for it to just be an anomaly. It reflects a pattern for how leadership deals with their own shortcomings. There is a crazy amount of turnover because of this, which means making progress on project work or career growth can be close to impossible, as teammates and managers are constantly leaving. Harassment is rampant (both verbal and physical) and HR doesn't take any action to address it other than silencing people. It's a good reminder that the department is there to protect the company, and not individual employees. While the company does indeed provide many avenues to voice concerns, you often get reprimanded for speaking up.  Overall, NerdWallet treats their employees like they are completely disposable, and many people live in constant fear of being fired or pushed out.

24 people found this review helpful

Talent

Hi, NerdWallet takes allegations of harassment very seriously. Our anti-harassment, non-discrimination, and non-retaliation policies are in place to protect employees. We appreciate you posting on Glassdoor, and welcome you to file an anonymous Red Flag report with the details of the incidents you’ve mentioned. You can do this by contacting Red Flag directly and can find more information on how to do so on our internal wiki. Reports are routed directly to the General Counsel and will be addressed immediately. It’s our goal to ensure NerdWallet is a safe and productive place for all Nerds.

8. 4.0

Organized tech company

Feb 24, 2021 - QA Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Lots of transparency -Seems like people are able to switch between teams without drama like some other smaller tech companies -Good benefits -CEO seems very mission-driven and sincere

Cons

-Very cliquey, weird environment when you see everyone sit in their own friend groups and don't say hi to others

3 people found this review helpful

Talent Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We’re committed to living our values, including Relentless Self-Improvement and Candid & Constructive, so we appreciate it. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

9. 5.0

Improving Quickly

Mar 14, 2021 - Advisor in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Recovered from layoffs, clarified roles, expanding products, and getting more done, with overall great culture

Cons

Still too many slides and meetings

Talent Coordinator

Thank you so much for sharing this feedback with us! We’re glad to hear that your NerdWallet experience was positive and rewarding, and we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture

Feb 1, 2021 - Business
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Awesome culture (for example, they just gave us 5 new mental health holidays in 2021 on top of the office being closed from Xmas to New Years) -Smart people -Mission driven company -Great work life balance

Cons

-Equity comp is not great

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Coordinator

Thank you so much for your thoughts! We’re so glad to hear that you’re enjoying your time at NerdWallet. If you ever have any other thoughts—positive or negative—about your NerdWallet experience, please reach out to your team’s HRBP or share them in NerdPS.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 137 Reviews