SGN Reviews | Glassdoor.sg

Updated 1 Nov 2019

3.5
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
Pros
  • "Good prospects, Good stability, Good benefits, good training programme - room to progress(in 8 reviews)

• "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management are more focused on bettering themselves than the wider team(in 9 reviews)

• "Long hours and trying to balance family life can be hard(in 7 reviews)

1. "The Worst Job I have Ever Had"

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There isn't even free tea and coffee! That would be a tiny benefit that would make the day a tiny bit better. The pay is OK though, so that keeps lots of deadwood here at SGN HQ. People not going anywhere as pay is good, so people can stay in the job a long time. And if you are a BULLY, SGN is a great place to be.

Cons

This is the worst job I have ever had. The organisation has quite a few bullies, and if you try to do things for the benefit of consumers or the environment, you are targeted as being a trouble-maker. The manager in my section gave me a talking to when I started at SGN, basically saying that if I acted on my own initiative, I would be sacked. He ended by saying "It's my way or the high-way!" The trouble is, his... way is old and outdated and breaches the rules set out by Ofgem and the HSE. And HR are truly the most biased HR team in the whole of the UK. If you are not a senior manager, then you will probably bot be listened to by HR.

Advice to Management

There has to be quite a big change in SGN. There has to be anyway as the rules are changing and the public are going to want more from utility companies. That change should actively involve everyone.

SGN2019-11-01
  2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Test Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a dynamic business, really up and coming in their technology, a fast paced and exciting place to work at the sharp end of today's technology. I find most the people here are really down to earth, minimising on the fluff and jargon, they actually get on with the work! I am well supported by my manager and I feel appreciated. Incredibly busy, but the work life balance is good! It is still early days in... the business, but so far so good.

Cons

Its a bit chaotic at times, lots going on. Office is very industrial and dated compared to other businesses I have worked in, limited on facilities, basic canteen, no gym and located in an industrial estate.

SGN2019-09-23
  3. "Good company, some issues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good friendly people across the full of SGN. Progression is good however this isn't across the board, some managers lack understanding in this and I have noticed this over the years. There are good benefits and flexibility in working hours to maintain a work life balance - again this isnt across the board. There are many internal jobs that literally anyone within SGN can apply and this is encouraged. Line managers... are really helpful and want to better you and your career. Good networking opportunities across the business and external.

Cons

Senior management are more focused on bettering themselves than the wider team. A lot of new projects and resource is always stretched without thinking about how this effects the rest team who need to pick up more work - hire more people and this wont be an issue. Departments all work differently and it's difficult to get work done as slow engagement. Heavy workload and a lot is expected of you. Not enough modern... technology to support employees working in depot/offices, very behind compared to other companies . Meetings are always far too long and annoying when you have to travel far. A lot of culture differences across scotland and southern. Depots/offices are in poor locations and some very old inside. Employee surveys to share thoughts but not the right questions being asked

Advice to Management

Directors/senior management engage more with the wider team to understand their needs, this will help your employees stay for long periods. Stop focusing on your career only. Improve on IT and try and have departments working better together

SGN2019-10-05
  4. "Undervalued"

Current Employee - Pressure Control Craftsman in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent Pension Decent PPE Love double time on a sunday

Cons

Standbys are changing without consultation showing lack of respect for workforce A new work management system is replacing one that works perfectly well.... the new one does not (can only imagine someone in the office has got a pat on the back for hacking off the entire workforce) Higher management havent a clue what maintenance do, that lack of understanding leads to the whole department being completely... undervalued Lack of investment in the front line business, christ we're going about in vans near 10 years old with 140,000 miles on the clock The vast majority of the department are incredibly highly skilled however the couple of incompetent engineers ruin the reputation of our department by being allowed to continuously act unsafely and incompetently by management either too personally attached or too scared to deal with them Drives for D&I are just shameless plugs to show how PC the business is, soon it will no longer be about if you're the best person for the job but if you fit the bill for the quota someone in HR needs filling

Advice to Management

Sort yourselves out, the workforce isn't a happy place. You're changing systems of work there is no fault with, you're removing the best aspects of the job, you're completely unaware of what we do so don't try and tell us how to do it and please realise.... the further you are away from us who work and the less you interfere, the happier and more productive we are

SGN2019-09-27
  5. "Pay"

Current Employee - Opps Controller in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I work with

Cons

The senior management team never seem to listen

Advice to Management

Engage with your staff

SGN2019-08-09
  6. "Pay"

Current Employee - Gas Engineer

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Pay is good and people friendly

Cons

Don't have any issues with them

SGN2019-08-03
  7. "Good"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good team and good working conditions

Cons

I have no cons to give about them

Advice to Management

Listen you suggestions from field staff.

SGN2019-07-22

"Staff should be the heart of this business"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Majority of staff are extremely genuine and good to work with

Cons

When speaking with other staff at SGN everyone sounds so downtrodden, underpaid and overworked seems the mantra here - old school managers that really need to be brought into this century - so many layers to the contracts here, no one is on the same which leads to a massive divide -

Advice to Management

You do have good staff here and really need to make this a fair place to work - educate the older colleagues that things have changed and time to get with a modern day office environment - salaries need to be looked at - seems to be no movement in salary for staff wishing to stay in the job their in and in to which they thrive - please look after your staff - a thank you sometimes goes such a long way for some... that feel overlooked

SGN2019-07-26

"Worst managers ever"

Former Employee - Administrator in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lovely colleagues, a couple of nice senior managers.

Cons

Manager and supervisor are bullies, constant sniggering and whispering. Genuinely horrible people. Will not praise any good work you have done unless told to do so by senior managers. No care for employees welfare, lack of compassion and absolutely no managerial skills between them. Extremely rude people and the admin manager doesn’t have a clue what jobs her staff do or how they’re done, relies on everyone else to... do the work for her. High turnover of staff as they can’t keep hold of anyone due to how awful they are as managers.

Advice to Management

Find another job as you fail at this one and embarrass yourselves.

SGN2019-08-07
  10. "Gas"

Current Employee - Gas Operative in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits and good career opportunities

Cons

There is none so far I’ve only just started

SGN2019-06-24