Shutterfly Reviews | Glassdoor.sg

Updated Nov 8, 2019

3.3
Shutterfly CEO Ryan OHara
Ryan OHara
Pros
  • "Work life balance is a definite plus along with work flexibility(in 68 reviews)

• "Great people to work with, competitive pay and good benefits(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Great people, great culture, good work, avg pay"

Current Employee - Senior Analytics Manager

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- People - Culture - Work - Opportunity to explore different streams of work

Cons

- Compensation - Upper management planning

Shutterfly2019-10-30
  2. "My shutterfly review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Shutterfly full-time for less than a year

Pros

They really care about customer, and customers are friendly mainly elderly clients

Cons

You have have patience a lot the customer are elderly,and hard of hearing might have a hard time using the website. As customer service rep your job is to be very attentive to the customer

Shutterfly2019-10-29
  3. "Best job I could ask for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for less than a year

Pros

my manager is a delight, and my two team mates are the nicest people, I get to work from home whenever, the benefits are wonderful

Cons

None to speak of. I've been here for two months.

Shutterfly2019-10-28
  4. "Average"

Former Employee - Product Coordinator

I worked at Shutterfly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vacation is 3 weeks for production employees. Salary employees have discretionary time off which is basically uncapped depending on your supervisor.

Cons

As a production employee you will need that vacation time to make up for low hours during off season. Middle managers are lacking and goals are sometimes unachievable. No real opportunity for advancement. Very click. If you're in the club you can go places. If you're not be prepared to stay in the same position until you move on to another company.

Advice to Management

None. They wouldn't listen either way. It would be a waste of breath.

Shutterfly2019-11-08
  5. "Sfly"

Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time

Pros

Good place to work most days.

Cons

Life/Work balance was often an issue.

Shutterfly2019-10-22

"Pay was decent, but toxic culture"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shutterfly full-time for more than a year

Pros

Was paid pretty well, fun on-site activities, great discounts and freebies on products, direct manager was wonderful

Cons

The leadership is not good. It’s a bit of a “good ol boys club” among the senior leadership team, especially on the commercial/business side- not sure how the retail side is run. Cross-functional teams struggle to work together; lots of pushback and lack of ownership which make it very difficult to appease clients. There seems to be strong resistance to working together internally, rather you see people wanting to... make themselves look good and shift responsibility. Major lack of processes in place... there are no P&P’s, no training, nothing seems to be standardized, it’s a scramble to get things done and clients are flat out lied to about what the company is capable of. I had issues with the ethical implications of the way things were presented to external clients. There is zero work-life balance during peak season. I was advised I was expected to be “on call” during the evenings and weekends and there was little care given to the fact that employees have families and personal lives. This is not a life or death industry; it’s print materials. Very high turn over, that is pretty telling.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people you lose! Three people leaving a specific department in 6 months should be a red flag.

Shutterfly2019-10-17
  7. "Not the ideal place to work like I though this place was..."

Former Employee - Photo Editor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Shutterfly full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free drinks Free food and snacks Free products and offers Nice building

Cons

• Stressful Environment •Bias management with diversity employees •Unprofessional treatment to employees from Shutterfly management and Adecco •Not enough time to adjust to the learning curve •Not enough time to learn the work duties because you are forced to work with real orders vs training orders during training period •It’s expected that you learn everything right away and apply it to your job without... fail •If you don’t learn "fast enough", they treat you that you are completely incompetent •Lack of direct communication and support from management •If you first language is not English, they send someone to teach you how to do the work and train you in your native language and see if you can understand "better" •If you ask too many questions about what you are learning, they assume right away that you aren’t getting the information provided and then you aren’t good enough for the job position •Training coaches may not be very patient with you if you don’t get everything right and then they report you as a not smart enough trainee with management •If you report a bug in the system, they don’t believe you and they assumed immediately that you are not doing your tasks in the right way •They observe you all the time to see what windows are open in your monitors because if you “move too much” your windows, there may be a sign that you are not that productive as expected •Very high expectations from first time new employees •They may treat you like you don’t know anything about editing software, editing pictures if you don’t follow exactly their process of editing •No opportunity for advancement •Adecco doesn’t have your back and don’t care if you are mistreated by Shutterfly management

Advice to Management

•Be more open and trust more about skills and capabilities from diversity employees. •Learn about the fact that each person may learn a different way and that doesn't mean that is not smart enough or that is completely incompetent. •Communicate with your employees directly and learn from the source before assuming that everything is negative about an employee that is just in training. •Management must help to... strengthen the capabilities of their employees, not the opposite. •Treat people with the respect that they deserve, you would be missing the chance to have a good, productive and hard worker employee. •Be careful of how you manage your employees and the words that you choose when you talk to them. •Care enough about others so you don’t affect someone that had the best intention to work for you and your company. •Be a leader.

Shutterfly2019-11-08

"Great place to work if you value work-life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great team members, really good work-life balance with the flexibility to take care of your personal business when you need to. Discount on products.

Cons

Over the years, Shutterfly has lost its long term vision and putting the customer first, and focused too much on immediate, short-term gains, resulting in tech-debt and short-cutting on product development. This can make it frustrating as the issues pile up year after year, short cut after short cut.

Shutterfly2019-09-22

"Decent company if you can avoid the layoffs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company culture is better than other places I have worked. I truly enjoy the people I work with and the office is comfortable enough. I love my job and have always had fantastic managers.

Cons

Unless you are high-level, the pay is not a live-able wage and the hours can be long depending on what your position is as well. If you're on the production floor expect 12 hour days and strict lunch schedules & rules. If you work here seasonally, there is a high chance that you WILL be let go come January. Be prepared for that - Shutterfly is a very seasonal company.

Advice to Management

Care about employees that have been loyal to you. Treat production floor workers with more respect. Have empathy on those that are working long hours with low pay. We are HUMANS.

Shutterfly2019-10-02

"Collaborative company but can feel stunted there"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Colleagues generally have a good, can-do attitude; appealing company mission, good work life/balance, desire to evolve and improve the C/X

Cons

The desire to make Shutterfly a better product/service is frequently curtailed by pragmatic and basic fixes. Managers are neither well trained nor held accountable on how to develop their people. As a result, career development is sub-par vs other organizations.

Advice to Management

There has been a significant change to e-staff which is promising. In the new private company, I recommend that senior staff act more as advisors and champions of ideas, vs in the weeds. In addition, the business would benefit in balancing its short-term operating model with a medium-term growth mindset. If not, Shutterfly will weaken its differentiation and customer satisfaction.

Shutterfly2019-09-30