Thumbtack Reviews

Updated 19 Jan 2021

3.6
Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta
Pros
  • "Company really cares about employee welfare and work life balance(in 36 reviews)

• "The in-house culinary team (though they were laid off)(in 23 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great Team, Meaningful Vision"

I worked at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

Helpful and motivated team, great perks, mission-driven,

Cons

Growing pains of a fast-growing company in a competitive sector

2. "Great place to work, working on real problems with real people"

Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Career opportunities, trust, humane practices

Cons

Policy, no longer a start-up, corporate-feel

January 22, 2021Social Media Support Manager

Working to solve real problems with real people is one of our favorite things about Thumbtack. Our company is growing and we want to be sure you're finding great career opportunities along the way, while still getting the personal attention you need to see success in your daily work. We want to thank you for this kind review and for all the hard work you do. Keep it up and we look forward to working with you throughout the new year.

3. "Great company with good intentions"

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch every day, lovely coworkers

Cons

Can't figure out a business model that works

January 22, 2021Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We're dedicated to providing the best experience for both our customers and pros. It's also important that we maintain consistency and reliability while we continue to find ways to better that experience for the future. We'll pass your feedback along and we wish you all the best.

4. "Good so far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Work life balance - Positive work environment - Opportunities for growth - Remote for the time being - High caliber team members

Cons

- Unsure if we'll be able to stay remote after July 2021 - would love to option to WFH permanently if we want

January 20, 2021Social Media Support Manager

Providing our team members with opportunities for growth while maintaining a positive work environment is very important to us here at Thumbtack. We value our employees and know that a great work-life balance helps us all to work better, especially during this crazy time with everyone working remotely. The uncertainty of this past year and the pandemic has certainly made some changes for our teams. We'll be sure to continue to assess the needs of our employees as we move towards the future. Thanks for this kind review and we look forward to this new year.

5. "Good company culture"

Former Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I joined, really liked the company culture and open leadership

Cons

Post-reorg and layoffs, work increased substantially for those left, strategy was less clear and management focused on bottom line over employees well-being

January 13, 2021Social Media Support Manager

Focusing on a culture that promotes the success of our employees and puts a strong emphasis on DEI is very important to us here at Thumbtack. We truly appreciate the hard work and extra efforts you and many others put in to help us get to where we are now. Many teams are putting their heads together to refocus on DEI efforts all over the company. We value the feedback you've shared with us here and we'll be sure to pass it along to our team. We wish you all the best in this new year ahead.

"Security is an issue"

2.0
    Former Employee - Analyst
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My team was fun and had teamwork!

Cons

No work security and senior management did not care

January 20, 2021Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us here. We want to be sure our employees feel they're being heard and that any concerns they have, like work security, are being addressed. We always value your feedback and we'll be sure to pass it along. It's a joy to know that your team worked together well and found the fun in working here at Thumbtack. We wish you all the best of luck with your next endeavor.

7. "Best decision I have made in 2020"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leadership is on point - sales managers are subject matter experts and almost all of them were former top performers before being promoted - our director has to be one of the most down to earth and hands on leader I have ever seen and it's clear the org would walk off a cliff for this guy. The company is doing very well given everything that has happened in 2020, benefits are outstanding and the onboarding process given I joined thumbtack in 2020 was pretty impressive considering the company moved to 100% remote this year. Overall I am very impressed with the people and culture and see myself here for many years to come

Cons

Although the sales culture is great I don't get the same vibe when interacting with other departments - our customers like the product but wish we could deliver more, I have pros literally asking me what else they can buy and it turns my stomach when I have to turn them away because our product is very narrow at the moment. The pay is average (which is not a bad thing) but feel it was hyped up how much the earning potential could be during the interview process.

January 6, 2021Social Media Support Manager

We're thrilled to hear that you can see yourself with us in the years to come. We take great care in building a culture that helps to support our employees to grow and advance in their careers at Thumbtack. It's important that we always have an eye on the future and continue to evolve our product for our pros and customers. We appreciate your insights and we'll be sure to share your feedback with our team. Thank you for choosing to be a part of our growing company and we look forward to the years ahead as we continue to make Thumbtack a special place to work.

8. "Better than typical SMEs especially in PH"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

- salary is competitive - culture of mutual respect among employees - benefits covering WFH support on top of very HMOs and life insurance - mostly competent teammates - global company, opportunities to interact daily with coleagues - weekly updates from top leaders - managers are supportive

Cons

Not a Con but more of a heads-up. You have to be prepared to manage the timezone difference with partners and stakeholders.

December 29, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We know that managing timezones with stakeholders and partners can mean odd hours at times, and we're so grateful for all your hard work to support our global community. We'll continue our efforts to support our employees and build upon the culture of respect here at Thumbtack. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us and we'll be sure to pass them along to our team. We look forward to all the great things that you will continue to bring to our company in the new year.

9. COVID-19

"Thumbtack Review - creative, huh?"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been at Thumbtack for less than 1 year (similar to many other TT-ers). I have never been to the office, but I hear there was an amazing culture pre-Covid. The company is pretty spread out already with teams in SF, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and the Philippines. Based on hiring since Covid started, I would be surprised to see a strong move to have everyone back in an office post covid. Though, I do think that there will still be a majority of employees working a reasonable amount of time in an office with exceptions for roles that can largely be done remotely (engineering comes to mind). There have been leadership role hires outside the Bay, which seems to have been rare (non-existent) pre-Covid. This year was a rollercoaster for the company, but luckily things seem to be looking good going into the end of the year. People are optimistic about the future, and there are a lot of new, strong ICs and Leaders that joined to help continue the current momentum into the new year and beyond. Pros: - Overall the people at Thumbtack are smart and kind. - The people team really does try to create an awesome culture (even while working remotely). - Leadership at the highest levels seems aligned and focused, with clear goals in mind. - There is a lot of freedom to try things and experiment, as well as own your area of the product. - TT Bucks, Internet, Phone Reimbursement, Good comp - Remote events show that the people at TT also have skills outside of work (singers, poets, chefs, athletes, overall musicians - people are crazy talented) - The work on my team is interesting, the problems are hard, and the data are actually quite clean (not the dumpster fire of most companies) - so the opportunities are large.

Cons

Cons: - There are a lot of new people, and (like a lot of other startups) also reasonably high attrition, which can make it hard to move in an aligned direction and know where everything is to help move together. Some TT-ers seem to still be holding hard feelings from layoffs earlier this year. - There are a lot of things that aren't figured out or haven't been built that you might expect a company that has been around for 12 years to have already figured out. Why this is the case - could be related to attrition - there is a lot of poaching of TT talent, but I am truly not sure. Could be that the problems are hard - yea, they are, but I don't totally buy that... - Note: Many of these projects seem to be on the roadmap, but from my observation, short-term wins often seem to take priority over these lengthy investments. In the remote world, my view isn't super far into what other teams are working on. - I have been here almost a year and have not once had a talk about growth or a performance review from my manager. Potentially folks being overlooked due to not having these conversations also leads to attrition? - No 401k match

January 13, 2021Social Media Support Manager

We’re so glad you joined our team to help us ride out the rest of this rollercoaster of a year. We have had to adjust our culture to evolve with the current remote state. We truly appreciate that our teams have been making the most of it and working to stay connected while being apart. It’s been amazing to see so many of our team members share their many individual talents and help us to see growth this past year. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us and we’ll be passing your feedback along. We always suggest working with your manager and bring up any concerns you may have about growth and performance opportunities here at Thumbtack. We value the work you’ve been doing to help us grow and we look forward to working with you in the year ahead.

10. "Energetic Startup"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Draper, UT

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for less than a year

Pros

There's a lot of energy around the company's mission and values. Management genuinely cares about the individual's growth. Compensation and benefits are highly competitive compared to other similar tech companies in the area.

Cons

The company is growing too fast to sustain new hires. The business is highly dependent on the success of the Pro's they support - which means company growth is highly volatile. They still haven't figured out a consistent sales strategy.

December 17, 2020Social Media Support Manager

Here at Thumbtack, we are driven by our values and have a passion for the development of our employees. We're so glad to hear that you felt that care and support from your managers while you were with us. Making sure our new team members have the best chance of success with us is very important and we truly value your feedback. We'll be sending your thoughts along to the appropriate teams. Thanks for this kind review and we hope you continue to see growth and success in all of your future endeavors.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 323 English Reviews