Arizona State University Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

Arizona State University Interview Questions

Interviews at Arizona State University

2.4

Interview

Pretty basic - familiarize yourself with the Build a Better You program and be able to provide ideas in which you create health and wellness programing/tabling events for students and faculty across the campus.

Interview Questions

Interview

The interview happened through a zoom call, where the professor asked me about my previous work experiences and relevant skills. Then, he asked me some HR questions, if I had previous grading experience or not, and how much salary I would be getting.

Success Coach Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University in August 2020.

Interview

Zoom interview panel with too many people. The job requisition was vague and when I tried to ask some clarifying questions, it was clear they thought I wasn't very bright. I left feeling like they only wanted sales-y type personalities. I asked what the metrics for success were and they struggled to answer.

Interview Questions

• They had a 5 minute role-play about how you would assist a student who had some educational challenges and wanted to spend their time being an activist. This seemed unreasonable given that they weren't open to sharing much about the job itself or what the expectations for the employee are.   Answer Question

Desk Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University.

Interview

Applied online at the university on-campus job site. Manager scheduled a phone screening within a week of application. If selected, called on-site to meet with manager and discuss shifts and responsibilities.

Senior Manager In Library Interview

Application

The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Arizona State University.

Interview

It was fine. The committee ended up never confirming yea/nay on the job after I went through all the rounds with references contacted. It was very disheartening, but maybe I dodged a bullet with that kind of communication.

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Anchorage, AK (US)) in May 2020.

Interview

Online. Then no response to specific questions. I called and left messages for months afterwards, but was ignored. After being hired, no improvement on communication. Someone failed to send the correct interview link.

Customer Service Interview

Interview

Basic situational questions were asked. Calm environment, very comfortable. It was a one on one interview with a manager. They kept the interview friendly and not intimidating. The questions were similar to most customer service position questions. They want to know how well you work with others and if you’re overall personable.

Communications Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Arizona State University.

Interview

My experience interviewing with ASU began positively, but ended on an extremely negative note. This account will surely be longer than others to hopefully bring light to their “organized interview practices”:

I had two amazing interviews with a “panel” of interviewers, which consisted of one phone interview and one video conference. The questions I was asked mainly focused on my experience, and emphasized how I’d preform in certain situations. I was not given any account from the interviewers during either interview regarding what, exactly, I’d be managing if hired for this role— however, this didn’t bother me as much as I now realize it should have. From the beginning, I was clear and upfront that I was a candidate that was relocating to the area from across the country, and the team seemed to be receptive of this and even excited for me. Up until my following unpleasant experience, I sincerely loved the team and thought we’d work well together.

The part where this turned negative was the fact that AFTER these two interviews, I was seen to be “disqualified” via my light quantifiable experience. I mean, my resume details my “years of experience” in full for the corporate positions I have previously worked, but I was asked by a director/coordinator of the department via email to send over an account of the “exact amount of hours and months” and “a summary of tasks completed” for my collegiate extracurricular roles in an attempt to ensure qualification for the “exact year requirement needed for the role per HR requirements”. Bonus: I was also asked to specify whether these roles- dubbed “volunteer roles” (ex: RA and sorority positions) had been “paid/unpaid”. I’d give a bit of leeway for a corporate office to mix up extra curriculars as potential ‘paid/unpaid’ positions, but this interview in question was for a role at a collegiate organization...which makes you wonder, “really?” One would hope that the "panel" had reviewed my credentials prior to the initial interview as my experience was said to be "great” for the role, but since I was later found to be a “year short” I was asked to give a detailed account of my extra curricular roles and their descriptions/tasks to try to “make up for the gap”. I found this practice odd and highly disorganized, but I complied as best I could.

These odd and somewhat insulting questions regarding my extra curricular activities “volunteer roles” were asked leading up to and ON my moving day via email from the director of the department. Throughout the process, it almost seemed as though jumping on a quick call to give this additional information was frowned upon so I was subjected to untimely and intrusive “back and forth” email chains that stretched this process out to the point (almost a month after the first interview) where I was unable to answer “ASAP” because I was literally in the middle of moving. I figured I’d answer this “moving day email” as soon as I had reached my destination just in case there were any additional arbitrary “follow up” back and forth emails to follow that I needed to respond to “ASAP”.

After 3 days of driving, I tried to respond as best as I could to the email sent to me on my moving day 1 business day earlier. In an attempt to set needed boundaries with this director, I also politely added that “if there were any other questions that needed to be answered ASAP on my part to move this process forward to please CALL ME” (as my wifi had not be set up yet and I needed time to unpack after my move.) This, I felt, implied that I (understandably) could not be glued to my email in order to focus on wrapping up my move to the area.

After this final reply politely asking for all future ASAP questions or communications to be directed to a call, my prior 3.5 weeks worth of effort were thrown out the window. These weeks featured two interviews, an odd “email only” reference check, and a very strange previously detailed back and forth of untimely and seemingly intrusive “final follow up questions” via email. I was then sent a generic rejection email from someone I had not even built rapport with in the panel of interviewers I had spoken with previously. This tactic felt extremely disingenuous and unappreciative of the time I had spent as an applicant who had shown "exactly what they were looking for."

In conclusion: My unpleasant experience interviewing with ASU seems to follow the negative experience of others who have shared a similar odd “cop out” is received late in the interview process- after everything seems to be at a stopping point. This “cop out” I personally experienced made the department I interviewed with seem extremely disorganized and unsure of what their hiring priorities/strategies were. Setting necessary communication boundaries is not applauded nor appreciated, I suppose (how ironic), when interviewing with ASU which makes me feel like I dodged a bullet in terms of actually working for this disorganized organization.

Interview Questions

• Describe a way you created a new “communication tactic” in your organization   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Phoenix, AZ (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

one day interview. first one hour presentation, then one hour with search committee, and then with senior faculty members one by one. roughly 5 hours in total. long but doable.

Event Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ (US)).

Interview

15 minute phone interview to screen first round candidates. The people interviewing were friendly and polite. The questions were relevant to the position. They made clear that I could only be considered based on what I said in the interview. In this type of interview, it's important not to skim over your relevant experience.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.