Interview Question

Vice President Interview

-Sausalito, CA

Glassdoor

What is your management style?

Tags:experience, personal
AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

38 Answers

My management style varies depending on the employee. I've found that people are different so a one-size fits all style doesn't work. Some people respond to aggressive goals; others don't thrive on pressure. Some people prefer frequent check-ins; others prefer clear direction up front and then giving them space to get their work done. Some general rules: * Focus on hiring smart people with great problem solving skills and good communication. * Take the time to explain the business value of the work they are assigned ensures motivation. * And most importantly, having compassion for each person - show the person you value them, show the person you care when things are hard, and invest your time in the person.

VP at Glassdoor on

Showing the response would be very helpful, especially if the responder got a job there

pgiordano on

Being a good manager is about knowing your people. You can manage all day long, assign work out and be as directive as possible. But do you have respect from your team? Can they come to you and ask questions and feel at ease and confident in your response? Leading is the term I like to reference because a good leader supports their team and is uplifting. They give everyone an opportunity to advance if that is what they desire. People management is about your people and how you treat them. Don't be a friend but rather a mentor, someone they can look back at and say you were a positive influence in their life. For me the hardest part about leading is having that rock star employee who goes above and beyond, how do you continue to challenge that person if there is no room for advancement. People Management is my passion because I care about the people who work with me I don't just manage them. Management style is solely dependent on you and your approach to your team's success.

Leader on

My Style Keep your subordinates mentally comfortable. Find out who is most suited for which type of job and try to assign accordingly. Set exemplary punishment if a person is found guilty and reward whoever deserves. Have some human touch. Don't go by management theories aplly common sense.

Soumitra on

Being a good manager of people requires good insight, foresight, and good hindsight to make the former two attributes even more accurate. But most of all, a good manager doesn't seek to micromanage, but empower those who work for him. If you want to lead. You serve those who you want to follow. Without the attributes above, You cannot understand people, nor can you get them to follow your lead. A good manager should not seek to manage his people. He should seek to manage the daily operations of their jobs, by having the insight to know how their employees are feeling/performing (without data) , foresight to know where it will lead the team, and hindsight just to make sure there are better approaches to any given situation. These attributes requires immense experience with much self reflection. Unfortunately many managers would not agree with me.

Anonymous on

Managing people is a skill you learn from listening, explaining expectations and working with your employees, teaching them what TEAM WORK is all about. Treat your employees with respect and they will respect you. They may not always like the choices they make, but they understand there are always consequences to their actions and e have to do are jobs, do it with respect.

Annette Williams on

The best management style is when employees are lead by example and not by command.

Milton Martinez on

I try to adjust of my style of management to each situation,since part of my job is to assess both the best way to complete the project efficiently and the style of leadership that works best with current staff dynamic.

shital narlawar on

A GOOD MANAGEMENT STYLE IS TO MOTIVATE PEOPLE TO GIVE THEIR BEST I USE THE SKILLS OF MY SUBORDINATES TO MULTIPLY THEIR EFFICIENCY WITH SUFFICIENT SPACE TO PERFORM AND PROVE.

B. P. GUPTA. on

I agree that management style depends upon the employee's competence and motivational stage for a task at hand.However,each individual will have a predominant natural style of leadership be it directive or supportive.Your own competence, experience and flexibilty help you to adapt to a particular situation.

Anil on

Management style depends on the manager thinking how he handle himself in worst situation before handling other..

sanghamit on

We have different Management Styles in an organization. There is no right or wrong style of management. We should adapt ourselves to use different management styles to handle different people. An Effective Manager, will first take time to understand the various personalities on his team and the next step is to use the right style to ensure you tap the right potential and mentor them to have a sucessful career.

bj on

Agood manager would be more patient and understanding. it's about how to keep everything under control and how to manage the employee. Be a model.

sharon on

The relational manager is interested in responding to the needs of the staffs as well as focusing on achieving the task. Relational manager are prepared to modify tasks if needed to cater for personal needs of individuals within the company or organisetion. Relational manager create an open communication environment where everyone develops trust and appreciation for each other. The leader’s aim is for the group to have positive memories that aid in personal development, self-confidence, and skills.

Eric dauga on

I will teach by hands on and physically displaying that I’m willing to roll up my sleeves to. It earns a great deal of respect vs bossing orders

Anonymous on

People will follow you off a cliff if they know you genuinely care for them and their life goals. You cannot do this without spending time listening to them. So hire people smarter than you, then listen to them. This works every time!

Anonymous on

i will manage in such a way that people under me gets motivated, i will prove my involvement in enhancing company benefits as well the welfare of the people.

yssubramanyam on

hmm... if I'm a manager my management style would be a participative style. I believe that an organisation can best survive if their is minimal rate of attrition in the company i.e a good manager should be more employee centric rather than being a profit lover/seeker.

ebenezer on

it's depends on condition i just want perfection in work and good management makes a perfect team for work....

pankaj soni on

I have a feeling that management style solely hinges upon the manager's craft, capability and his response to an issue or a situation. Though ideally we talk of taking the team's point of view to move forward..but at the end of the day...it's the commander's whip that prevails upon and that everyone has to fall in line.

m i khan on

a good manager would be one who varies his style depending on the type of situation or the nature of the employee. sometimes constant check ins and pressure application is required and sometimes giving space is a better option.

shweta on

its about how to keep everything under control and not to miss it and also its about being able to handle the problems , i do believe that its about having the required experince to do what you should do smartly

nadod on

WHEN PEOPLE UNDERSTAND OTHERS & MANAGE PEACEFULLY THIS THE WAY MANAGAMENT STYLE

RAJEEV NAYAN on

management in my style is different coz management means we should be manage the thing in a proper way we should understand to each other by communication coordination and by cooperation.

mandeep rana on

First, in any situation set your expectations and boundaries high. Reward employees for annual goals with a cruise or monthly promotional revenue based and truly applaud the research for new customer basis, this is what we like to see as a business grows along with visionary’s. Take the employees to a them park, gambling boat or casino ( anything interactive and fun )this builds teams

test

Anonymous on

just to explain the problems with the sub-ordinates and try to complete the work without any hard feelings of the juniors.

sujeet verma on

People centriic, toyota concept of A3 problemsolving where many brains suggest different options and best solution leads to flawless achievement. And then questioning self betterment so that oetrganizational change keeps pace with environmental change and organization remains forever you ng

Anonymous on

Management style will certainly differ depending on the situations however as a golden rule I should say whatever be the situation A manager should always make sure that he is the main person for his team and he should do every single thing possible for him also for his team ..

SYED HUMZA on

Management style will certainly differ depending on the situations however as a golden rule I should say whatever be the situation A manager should always make his team feel tht he is one among them.

jairaj on

Management style means normal way of managing. This will depend on upbringing of manager, values & general style/environment at the organization. However, response to a particular situation may vary depending on criticality & urgency

Girish Choukse on

nee the aswer for this question?????????

somebody exsiting company left & after few week going for interview what all the question will rise on

I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT AN EMPLOYER WANTS THE BEST INDIVIDUAL FOR THE POSITION. IN REFERENCE TO STYLE, I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE THAT EVERY COMPANY HAS A SET OF GUIDE LINES PUT FORTH THAT EMPLOYEES ARE REQUIRED TO FOLLOW. THESE GUIDELINES ARE THERE FOR A REASON. MANAGEMENT IS RESPONSIBLE TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE ADHERED TO. A GOOD MANAGER SHOULD BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH HIS SUBORDINATES. A GOOD MANAGER SOULD BE ABLE TO KNOW WHEN HE SHOULD BE AGGRESSIVE,STERN, OR RELAXED WHEN A JOB NEEDS TO BE DONE.

lewis cox on

In management style we take some rule,and best community to give the perfect result for any problem.always maintain the level of that organization in market, also in society.But always take honesty and willing power to achieve destiny. because nothing is impossible.

shailaja mishra on

m i khan on

i think management style depend on thinking of manager or mainly on coordination maintained by a manager between his team

preeti on

understanding the employes and making them wrk in their own way and making it ur style is really being wrth a manager and if u cn make employees wrk in ur style wats d point of a drawback

mohit on

This is a great question. Would have been better if you have posted your response. After all, isn't the purpose of Glassdoor to provide the questions and responses -- for others to either learn or to avoid?

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.