Gap Reviews

Found 6,917 of over 7,230 reviews

3.7
Gap CEO Mark Breitbard
Mark Breitbard
Pros
  • "The employee discount was awesome(in 507 reviews)

• "Amazing people, good benefits and great discount(in 329 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Pressure to push store credit cards(in 269 reviews)

• "long hours, a lot of manual labor(in 158 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

fun working environment

Apr 11, 2017 - Retail Sales Associate in Bukit Merah Estate,
      Business Outlook

Pros

great staff management, and a great working environment

Cons

no cons. everything was ok

2. 3.0

Sales Assistant

Jul 16, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good working atmosphere. Friendly staff.

Cons

Not stable working hours. The shifts will be announced week by week.

Gap Response

Company Representative

Thank you for providing feedback. We understand scheduling can be a pain point for some of our store employees. We're constantly working to improve the way in which we staff our stores to ensure that we're best utilizing our time, talent, and energy.

3. 3.0

Retail Assistant

May 6, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly co-workers, nice environment, chill

Cons

Stand for long, not efficient

4. 4.0

Alright

Feb 9, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Many cohesions Sales targets are realistic

Cons

Store managers might use "scare tactics" such as surveillance Bonus was not given even though I have hit target - "Since you are leaving, we do not need to give you bonus as bonuses are for motivating people to stay"

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Micro-managers, unethical credit card sales

Aug 1, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

A major company afraid of labor violations, so you will get your breaks and lunch break on time.

Cons

Managers micro-manage employees like crazy, especially cashiers, and it’s all because they make their good money on selling credit cards nobody actually pays attention to the outrageous interest rate on. Constant pressure to “temporarily,” work 40 hours a week for a “part time,” job. Not compatible for college students

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Customer Service Representative

Aug 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The employee discount was exceptional and the staff was fun and vibrant, I always liked going into work and the playlist they had were very good

Cons

Having to clean up every shift and leaving the store really late, sometimes it would be understaffed for the night shift

7. 2.0
      Former Employee

Most stressful job I've ever had

Jun 14, 2021 - Assistant Manager in Asheville, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great discount and benefits package. Decent pay however not worth the stress.

Cons

Too much pressure to push credit cards. It is the companys only concern. If you're not meeting your goals then you will hear about it nonstop from upper management. The expectations are unrealistic for tasking versus credit card sales. Again, this is their number 1 priority. I was a new hire manager for a little over a month and never received proper training, was never allowed to do what I was hired for, which is Merchandising and to work with the staff on credit card sales. It was always about credit cards, and trying to pitch them the "Gap way". My new approach was shot down because I believed not throwing credit cards at the customers as soon as they approached the cash wrap would be more effectice. However Gap wants that to be first thing you mention as well as on the floor and throughout the customers shopping. Not mention the expectation to work extra hours, coming in early or staying late to recover the store because, again, if you're not getting cards then nothing else at all should be done during business hours. I was employeed 5 weeks and have never been more stressed at a job in the 15 years I have been working.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

great

Aug 2, 2021 - Customer Engagement Specialist in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

super fun to work for, a good team, and they don't expect too much from you. I was quickly promoted to this role, so they reward hard work and attention to detail.

Cons

Not a lot of cons that are specific to working for the Gap. I feel that retail is not for everybody, and

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A nice friendly place... but not forever

Jun 14, 2021 - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great employee discount (50% off at all Gap Inc stores) Good amount of hours after a couple months, perfect for a student Atmosphere is generally warm but some managers are hard to deal with. After someone gets promoted from Associate to a higher level position you really notice an attitude shift. Clothing retail is generally a horrible industry to work in but Gap was pretty non-toxic for the most part - especially in the KB section, not Adult

Cons

Unlike other retail shops, here you're expected to talk to customers first and don't earn commission for it. It gets really exhausting especially because managers will get mad at you if you don't talk to every person in the store at least 3 times, in which case everyone gets annoyed. Hard to change availability (takes at least 3 weeks for it to take affect)

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Summer Job

Jul 29, 2021 - Sales Associate/Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's a great job if you are home from school on summer break. Flexible hours and schedule. Friendly staff and fast training.

Cons

It's retail so you might have some rude customers but overall it's a great job to have. The hours for shipment are early but it's nice because you get the rest of the day to yourself.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 6,917 Reviews