49% would recommend to a friend
(237 total reviews)
34% approve of CEO
Found 237 of over 242 reviews
Updated 17 Nov 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "bad management , understaffed, not properly trained for anything, managers take SO MANY smoke breaks" (in 20 reviews)
- "The store managers do the jobs of five people with the pay of one." (in 17 reviews)
- "The pay is low and the hours are not great." (in 16 reviews)
- "upper management are bullies and I don't know how this one market manager even has a job she's so hateful" (in 12 reviews)
- "Was always told 'I am the Store Manager i don't technically have to help with shipments and other duties." (in 6 reviews)
- 1.024 Oct 2023Assistant ManagerFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsStarkville, MS
You get to work with animals and get a discount on pet supplies
Incredibly unfair pay. You need to be an expert in all types of pets, provide amazing customer service, keep the floor clean and organized, work freight/overstock all simultaneously with MAYBE one other member of staff to help. Very limited staffing hours, unresponsive HR, and managers that are so out of touch with reality that they have no idea how to communicate with their staff. You will be expected to work off the clock. You can also expect your boss/coworkers to gossip and share confidential information about you. The single most toxic work environment I have ever witnessed.
- 5.027 Oct 2023Grooming Salon LeaderCurrent Employee
I get wonderful benefits, love working with animals, and feel like the company is structured well.
There’s only one manager and they have a lot to do. Some of the equipment is outdated.
- 3.024 Apr 2023Store ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 1 year
Relationship with pet parents. If a store is properly staffed with over achievers the store manager job is moderately easy. Room for advancement of above mentioned over achievers as there is a lot of turn over and new store openings.
The pay. Its hard to find the over achievers at the pay rate Petsense has. There's very little payroll hours. They roll out major things like POG changes or whole store price changes, but they were all wrong so we have to redo them . These surveys they push, they are 10 years to late. Most don't care about the survey thing any more. But the T.E.A.M score is part of the managers bonus. I think the CEO is great (Hal Lawton is the CEO of TSC. The CEO listed as Greg Sandfort is incorrect) but trickling down from him is a hot mess.1
- 3.019 Aug 2023Team LeadCurrent Employee
Love working with animals and the people who come in genuinely looking to learn more about their animals and have their best interests in mind. Current management is actually trying to make the store a place nice to work at.
Cannot keep managers, team members ect. Lots of management issues, lots of busy work.
- 3.08 Sept 2022Part Time Assistant ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 1 year
My coworkers are awesome, the employee discount is much appreciated, and helping people help their pets is pretty rewarding.
Over worked and WAY underpaid/under appreciated. You’ll be expected to do the work of three people and barely be able to pay rent. Corporate makes all the right promises but never follows through.
- 3.024 May 2023Store AssociateFormer Employee, more than 1 yearAthens, TN
Decent pay ($12+) Good hours
Not enjoyable if the managers are not good. I had 3 full-time managers that were terrible. Two were fired and one quit after I left. All of them were thrown into the position too fast without enough training in the company. The stress for the position was thrown back on us employees rather harshly.
Petsense Reviews FAQs
Petsense has an overall rating of 3.1 out of 5, based on over 242 reviews left anonymously by employees. 49% of employees would recommend working at Petsense to a friend and 34% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.
49% of Petsense employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Petsense 2.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 2.9 for career opportunities.