Zillow Reviews

Found 1,133 of over 1,223 reviews

4.3
Zillow CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton
Pros
  • "They have a great work-life balance(in 124 reviews)

• "Great company with great benefits(in 73 reviews)

• Cons
  • "none / work-life balance is great and the stock is great too(in 20 reviews)

• "Then upper management says asks why security hasn't solved for X problem(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Pretty good tech company

Jan 21, 2021 - Senior Marketing Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good hours and work life balance

Cons

Large org, so promotion opportunities are slow

Zillow Response

Zillow

As great as our benefits are, we believe that having opportunities to grow your career is the most important aspect of a job. It's unfortunate that you didn't experience this with us. Zillow is growing fast and big enough for everyone, with more room to grow. -VP, Recruiting

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome Internship

Sep 20, 2021 - Software Development Engineer Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

+ Worklife Balance + Allows remote work + Great pay & compensation for internship

Cons

I have none for the internship.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great Place

Sep 18, 2021 - Realtor in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and management team.

Cons

None that I can think of.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company

Sep 16, 2021 - Customer Service in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great benefits and lots of vacation time

Cons

None, I have loved working fit Zillow for 5 years

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

analyst

Sep 10, 2021 - Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

great people and super kind

Cons

nothing really much. all is good

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The best of all worlds

Sep 9, 2021 - Senior Applied Scientist in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Zillow to me is the perfect combination of the advantages of working for a tech company, including top notch technology, smart people, challenging problems, agile culture, best in class benefits, immense impact, and great pay without the disadvantages of the over hyped FAANG. At Zillow work life balance is amazing, people are actually upbeat and happy, time off is encouraged, working long hours is discouraged, and best of all, we're now Cloud HQ, which means I can work remotely from wherever I want in the US instead of spending hours in crazy commutes.

Cons

The vision benefit could be better. The network is small and the annual contact lens benefit could be better.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

Sep 6, 2021 - Sales Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and community, communication from top down is very transparent.

Cons

Tough quotas, not alot of mercy for personal problems.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place to work overall

Sep 6, 2021 - Accountant in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Very inclusive place to work - New Management was receptive to feedback and genuinely cared about the team in the accounting department - PTO policy was good when staffing was complete enough to allow for time off.

Cons

- Some larger delays between a team member's departure and a new hire coming on left the remaining team feeling overworked. - Understaffing at times made it difficult to take/enjoy PTO

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Meets Great Place to Work expectations

Aug 12, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Competitive pay, excellent benefits (no cap for SDEs on PTO, health coverage, signing bonus + annual "merit" increase raise) 2. Great culture. I would say people in engineering (or around it) are generally nice and/or helpful and motivated. You know you're working with smart people but you'll still almost always able to find someone who's willing to help, or something to get involved in to network with or meet nice people with common interests. Stuff like getting involved in affinity networks feels encouraged, although sometimes there's a struggle to balance time and work like anything. 3. Excellent work/life balance. This depends on your team and manager, but executive leadership encourages it and in all my time at the company, this has generally been met. I feel able to take advantage of this and sign off when I need to. Generally my coworkers will respect that. 4. Almost every time a major event occurs, ZG will address it from leadership. Whether it's the "Racism has no home here" callouts and actions in response to BLM protests, natural disasters occurring in the states, or handling the pandemic with an early full-time WFH response, it feels good to work at a company where leadership seems to push for true transparency, instead of sweeping major political issues under the rug or treating employees like disposable workers. Leadership is aware and acknowledges the importance of personal lives outside of work which was HUGE during the pandemic. I'm not a parent, but there was a struggle across the company with the work/life balance - which we know because they took polls and showed results at meetings. It felt acknowledged and that even when the company isn't solving something, they're actively working on things where employees are taken care of. It took a long time to finalize when we'd be back in the office and what that meant, but the decision to move full-time remote for most workers felt like it took employee feedback into account. They care about retention and consistently get culture awards and I think those things are true.

Cons

Depending on what team you're on (like any company), you might get a bad manager and/or team that doesn't fit you. This heavily impacts how your team does things because although there's a bigger push to standardize things, there's a lot of fragmentation on how to do things - whether it's process or implementation. That comes with pros and cons, especially as the company continues to grow. I've had both bad and good experiences with teams, although I felt mostly supported when it came to moving teams. Some legacy work, though again it depends on your team. Some teams are working on all cool, brand new stuff. Some are stuck in legacy work that's no fun. More work still needs to be done across equity and diversity at the company. It feels like the company is a few steps along in this area - gathering data, discussing importance and establishing it in core values for culture, having paid positions in leadership to address equity and belonging, etc. But there's still so much work to be done across gender, race, LGBTQ+ and other underrepresented groups. It's talked about and "valued" but despite the awards we've gotten for diversity, it feels like a low bar. Like we've hired some people (more than the tiny average at other companies), but how much has been done beyond that and talking? For instance, how much is career leveling and guides catered towards a certain demographic? I've been through a lot of reorgs. Not that people are getting fired, but so much is changing in the company over the years. I'm curious to see how full-time remote and all this hiring impacts our overall culture.

7 people found this review helpful

Zillow Response

Zillow

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am replying here so that you know I have read it, and your opinion has been heard. Please reach out to me any time if you would like to dive into any of these topics further. David Beitel, CTO

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exhausted

Sep 16, 2021 - Escrow Assistant in Sacramento, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, stock options, great opportunities to be in different peer groups for support

Cons

Working 12+ hours a day and still not enough time to keep up with all job tasks. Customers, outside real estate agents and lenders disappointed with level of professionalism. Management would rather point fingers at escrow staff instead of helping, we are supposed to be "better together " which is a company core value. No work life balance within our team.

2 people found this review helpful