Microsoft Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

Microsoft Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

Applied through university's Hand Shake and on MS website. Was contacted by recruiter for on-campus interview a few weeks later. The interview consisted of one technical question and several conceptual questions about Python/language of choice. It did not last very long and I thought I had given a satisfactory answer to the question. I was not offered a final round interview, but the recruiter told me I was "short-listed" should any openings appear. Unsurprisingly, I heard nothing for several months until the recruiter told me all positions were filled.

Interview Questions

• Given array of integers, find pair with sum closest to 0.   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

A campus recruiter reached out to me, and the entire process was done in a month. I had an on campus interview but unfortunately did not pass and could therefore not make it to the next round.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

I was approached on LinkedIn by a recruiter and asked to apply, shortly afterward I was invited to an on-campus interview where they asked some basic coding questions and behavioral questions ( the coding questions are based on what you put on your resume).
    Later I was invited for a second interview at their Hq in Seattle. it consisted of 4 rounds of interviews each 30 minutes long with 15-minute breaks between each session. I was interviewed by veteran engineers with on average 10 years experience. Some questions were technical some were puzzles

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to determine if a binary tree is symmetrical   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was good. Very productive discussion. I was asked a technical question right off the bat which I was able to solve efficiently. I'm currently waiting for a follow up from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• In an array of Strings, find the number of Anagrams   2 Answers

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

On campus interview then fly to Redmond for a day of interviews. Overall a pleasant experience. Reimbursed for travel, food, and some sightseeing.

I spoke to very experienced engineers and had good conversations.

Interview Questions

• Why Microsoft? Very thorough. Know your data structures, algs, esp graph and optimizations.
      Studying system design is a plus   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Austin, TX (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

I haven't heard back from them yet. I talked to a recruiter at my college jobs fair, and interviewed with Microsoft on-campus a week after. The process went through very smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Find the maximum sum of any subsequence in an array of intergers   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an on site interview followed by a phone interview. I was also invited for a follow up interview on site but the position was filled. Overall, the interview process was not stressful

Interview Questions

• You have 7 Identical marbles but one is slightly heavier than the others. You also have a balance scale. Identify which marble is heavier only using the scale twice   6 Answers

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cambridge, MA (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

I was emailed by the recruiter saying that I was selected to participated in an on campus interview. I went, and had a 45-minute interview that was fairly straightforward. Some talk about why I wanted to work at Microsoft followed by a technical question. When that was finished, we just spent the last few minutes talking some more - behavioral questions mostly. A few weeks later, I got an email saying that I would be having a final-round interview, which hasn't happened yet.

Interview Questions

• How can draw a point on a 2D screen that is represented by a 1-D array?
      Given any two points on the screen, write a function that draws the line between them.   2 Answers

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Gave resume at career fair. Got phone interview 3 months later. Answered questions correctly but was rejected afterward. Very disappointed. Received no other feedback other than a rejection email a week later.

Interview Questions

• Given N weights, one of which is different from the others, find this different weight.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On campus interview that consisted of 30 minutes of pretty casual conversation with a few problem solving questions that heavily emphasized the process involved. Unfortunately I didn't hear back for two months, only to find that while I had passed the initial screening, Microsoft had already booked all of their interviews for the rest of the year. Microsoft is very big, and it seems pretty easy to fall through the cracks if you don't wow your way onto the high-priority list (some of my friends have had similar experiences).

Interview Questions

• How would you design a function to do X? (I don't remember exactly what the task was, but it was pretty simple)   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.