Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.4

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

This interview was for AI cognitive science org at Microsoft in Sunnyvale. One recruiter reached out to me and the recruiter recommended AI cognitive science org for me based on my background. I cleared the online assessment and I was told that I will be moving to onsite interviews next. But that did not happen. First recruiter (recruiter 1) handed off the process to another recruiter (recruiter 2) who told me that hiring manager wants to do a phone screen first. The hiring manager kept procrastinating for 2-3 weeks and finally agreed to interview me. The phone screen interview with hiring manager went well and they immediately told me that they want to move to onsite rounds. They cancelled my onsite rounds 2 days before for some random reason which they did not disclose and told me that they want me to come to Bellevue and interview for there. I agreed and went to Bellevue for the onsite interviews. On the day of onsite interviews, I met my 2nd interviewer initially and my 2nd interviewer (who was gonna conduct the lunch interivew) told me that they had not booked conference rooms for 2 interviews. This was weird. I did my first interview in some temporary conference room. It went well. I had a break in between my 1st round and 2nd round. In this break, they told me that I am supposed to sit in that conference and not roam around. I sat in that conference room for 5-10 minutes and suddenly 10 people showed up with for scrum meeting. Apparently the team which I was interviewing for did not book the conference rooms at all. They kicked me out of the conference room. I had to spend my break time in the kitchen area. After my break, I told the 2nd interviewer about what happened. The 2nd interviewer was smiling and I felt that he knew about this but he was trying his best to hide it. The 2nd interview was supposed to be the lunch interview but he completely forgot about "lunch" part and took me to his workstation and started asking me whiteboard coding questions. I solved the question and gave him optimal solution. When 20 minutes were left, he suddenly remembered the "lunch" part and basically told me to finish my lunch in about 20 minutes. My last interview was a system design interview with hiring manager. The hiring manager works from Sunnyvale but they called me for onsite interviews in Bellevue. They do not have any team members in Bellevue then why invite me there. This was extremely strange. Moreover, the hiring manager joined the interview session via audio call and did not even show me his face. I solved the design question and the hiring manager said that I did a great job overall. I received an automated reject 1 day after. Funniest part of this process was recruiter 2 was hiding under the name of "conference" and basically did not even care to join the prep call. So, I never got a chance to talk to recruiter 2 in the entire process. Even the amount the expenses that they have reimbursed (which is less than the approved amount) does not match the amount that they have approved. Clearly they set me up with some fake interviewing process when they were not even interested. Such a waste of time! Rude people! On the other hand, I am glad because I do not want to be a part of such a team/org where they do not respect people.

Interview Questions

• Leetcode Medium Questions. Not difficult at all.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

Interviewed for an SDE II position with the Microsoft Academic Graph team.

I will say outright an absolutely terrible interview experience for me. The team asked me some specific questions about how I would add features in Microsoft Academic Graph. After this, during the second hour, they asked me an architecture question which I did very well on. Then they asked me to write the code for a specific data structure, going conceptually through the characteristics of this particular data structure with me, after a while telling me to write it in pseudo-code. I felt like I did pretty well up until this point, though I had felt that I didn’t implement the data structure completely.  (They later told me that I didn’t pass the interview because I didn’t write complete code in C++ for this data structure).

What bothered me about this interview process however was that during the lunch interview my interviewer asked me a lot of very personal questions that were completely unrelated to the job. I told her about how I used to take care of children, and she told me that I should go back to doing that instead of being a Software Engineer. Furthermore, during the lunch interview the interviewer only consumed a single banana, and threw the rest of her food away. I strongly felt that, due to the nature of the questions that she was asking, and her generally condescending attitude toward me this was some sort of racist dig toward me (I am an underrepresented minority).

Going through this experience and watching her eat the banana while making chiding jokes about how I shouldn’t be a Software Engineer was completely humiliating, unprofessional and made this interview ultimately a waste of my time. Because of this, I keep a strongly negative impression of Microsoft as a company. There was another interview after this, but it was with the same person, and I felt completely uncomfortable about the entire thing. After this I was a pencil as a “parting gift”.

If this was some kind of a joke I am definitely not amused. Out of CS graduates with Computer Science degrees, Microsoft tends to not hire women and underrepresented minorities, including women of color such as myself. Microsoft should do better, including hiring interviewers that are sensitive to their own bias and blind spots, and who definitely don’t openly make fun of people. Furthermore, If they wanted me to implement the code, which was far more than 8 lines (the GeeksforGeeks.com implementation of this data structure in C++ is no less than 50 lines of code for instance) then it would be good to specifically tell the candidate to implement that data structure in actual code, in order to guide them in the right direction as opposed to the wrong one, even if the requirements somehow can’t be made clear for specific reasons during the interview itself.

Software Development Engineer-II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in February 2019.

Interview

I had a phone screen with a recruiter, phone screen with team manager, and then on site. I interviewed with several different team leads on the team I applied to.

Interview Questions

• Binary search tree traversal methods.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview was all day at their Redmond campus. I met with 5 different engineers who covered a variety of topics. All the interviews were one-on-one. They were very good about asking questions related to my experience and skills, giving me the opportunity to help steer the interview. In the end the position was not a good match for my skills.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions: One, involved writing code to manipulate a string in place. Two, had me write sections of code from a recent project of my choosing.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

Got referenced by a friend from MS. A recruiter quickly reached me with online screening test. After passing the test got an invite onsite. Had 5 interviews 1h each onsite. All of them were 1:1 with different engineers and managers. Whole process took 2 month, but could be faster, since I went for 2w vacation in the middle.

Interview Questions

• Basically all interviewers asked a generic question to design some generic system/service with further drilling down into particular details of the design and implementation of certain algorithms. Some examples are: Dijkstra shortest path; working with hashtables, unit testing.   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in September 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. I had to give an online test consisting of 3 questions. After it got evaluated, I got onsite call. Before that, I got the feedback about my performance in the online test and the entire procedure of the onsite interview was explained. There were 30 candidates being interviewed for the position. On the interview day, the position and the role was explained and it was followed by 4 technical interview rounds of 45 minutes each, which consisted of 1 or 2 data structures and algorithm questions. The interviewers made sure we are working on the most efficient solution, if we were not on right track, they helped us in finding one. 2 days after the interview, I got another call from the recruiter who gave me the feedback of the interviews and asked for my feedback for the interview process. Overall it was a wonderful experience. Best thing I liked was prompt feedback on my performance.

Interview Questions

• Generally covers all data structures and Algorithm question types.   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

There was a meet and greet at a restaurant in my area Microsoft paid for food and such. Got some emails and LinkedIn profiles soon enough got Phone interview.

Did well and went straight to the onsite.

Full day of interviews 4-5 people. The last interview is tentative with the hiring manager based on your performance during the interviews. If you get that far you can reasonably assume you'll get an offer.

Interview Questions

• NDA so can't share specifics but you might want to take a look at:

Trees (n-ary)
      Recursion
      Scalability and Memory Limits
      Algorithms
      Data structures
      Big O

If you pick C++ KNOW ALL THE STL DATA STRUCTURES. Know their average and worst case complexity for common operations. Be prepared to optimize or discuss trade offs in your design.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer was very compelling so I chose not to negotiate.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in January 2016.

Interview

Two phone interviews. One was technical. Flew out for on-site (Redmond). The campus is beautiful. The recruiter was professional. The team was friendly. I really had to ask a lot of questions to get a REAL understanding of the project. That's my only complaint of the interview. The accommodations are nice and the interview day wasn't as intense as other companies. I think moving around between offices helps relieve some stress between sessions.

All questions are technical, although a couple of the interviewers did ask non-tech (about my resume). The lunch interview was strange, definitely not just a sit-and-eat with light conversation.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in December 2015.

Interview

Took online tech screening and was invited to recruiting event. There were four technical rounds. The recruiters are amazing and make sure you have a very good experience interviewing at Microsoft. Interviewers were very friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• NDA. Questions were mostly on arrays and trees. Not very difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Do not accept without negotiations. I was able to get a lot more money than they initially offered.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in July 2015.

Interview

Pretty typical of what else is on here, but with a different twist. Met with 3 engineers and then the final interviewer, the as appropriate is what they called it. Other questions were around linked list traversal and working with arrays and indexes.

Interview Questions

• Given a stream a of ints, calculate the average of the 10 most recent values   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.